Completed Project: TAMUS' RELLIS Campus Parking Lot
Since its' conception in 1876, the Texas A&M University System has continued to expand and provide first-class education and research opportunities across 11 universities and 7 state agencies. In recent years, the RELLIS Campus, located off of SH-21 and TX-47 has begun to evolve from a former military training base to the home of a multi-institutional research, testing and workforce development campus. With a total of 1,877 acres, the campus is still under development with a 20-year plan to guide the expansion of academic capabilities and services.
GLS was selected to design an 11.5 acre parking lot with a 5+ acre retention pond. The 1,200 space parking lot will service a multitude of facilities including Blinn College and TAMU's two Gateway Plaza buildings. Access drives, car charging stations, sidewalks, lot lighting and landscape/irrigation design around the retention pond were included in the construction plans. As a full-service firm, GLS was also able to provide land surveying services in order to establish project control and project benchmarks for use during construction through the collection of topographic data.
Located south of the TAMUS (Texas A&M University System) Academic Complex, the retention pond was designed to provide storm water management for the new surrounding developments. The design was complete with a walking trail and other landscape features such as benches, trash receptacles and trail lighting.
After the completion of design services, GLS assisted in bid and construction phase services including:
- Address contractor questions related to items designed
- Assistance in conducting pre-bid meeting, bid opening, and preparation of bid tabulation
- Review of construction material submittals for compliance with technical specifications for items designed
- Assistance in conducting pre-construction meetings with contractor
- Review change orders, pay estimates, & perform periodic field observations during construction